The Q&A Archives: Brown Columnar Juniper

Question: Two 6' Spiral Junipers were purchased from a local nursery in June, 2004. They are planted in the same location, approximately 10 - 15 feet apart, outlining a large window. We have had nothing but good luck with them. They have been doing very well.

Only about two to three weeks ago, one of them has gone completely brown. I have used Miracid and Hollytone consistently since we have planted them. The juniper does not appear dead, however, as the underlying branch appears to be green, when a key is scraped on a branch. Why is this happening and what can i do about it? They were rather costly and I would hate to loose it.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what has happened. It might a problem with the roots in that it did not root fully into the surrounding soil and thus suffered during the recent dry spell, or it might be a pest or disease problem. I would suggest you work with your county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis for the browning and then knowing that, work from there. If it is something that requires a chemical control they will have the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when to apply it. I hope it can be saved.