The Q&A Archives: Non-Flowering jacaranda

Question: I planted a jacaranda (purple flower) in the summer of 2004, the tree is growing but has never bloomed. I also planted a split trunk jacaranda this summer and it bloomed. Is there anything I can I feed my tree to promote blooms? Thank you

Answer: If the jacaranda you planted in 2004 was not blooming when you bought it and has never bloomed, it is either too immature (regardless of size), or it's not getting the full sun and moist soil it craves. If it is too immature, the only thing you can do is wait; if it is not getting the sunshine and water it requires, you may have to move it to a sunnier spot and water more frequently. If you'd like to feed your tree next spring, use a low-nitrogen fertilizer (too much nitrogen will result in lots of green growth, often at the expense of flowers). A 5-10-10 fertilizer formulation will promote healthy root growth and flower development.

Best wishes with your jacarandas!