The Q&A Archives: caring of black eyed susans

Question: I recently planted Black Eyed Susans in the front yard. I live in Indiana. Can you tell me how to

Answer: Black Eyed Susan, Rudbeckia hirta, is typically an annual wildflower, but some varieties are perennial or biennial (flowering in its second year, then dying). These native prairie flowers can be found growing wild in almost every state, with the exception of the dry desert areas of the Southwest. This bright yellow,daisy-like flower grows to a height of 24-36 inches and is excellent to use in cut flower arrangements, and for growing in a butterfly garden.

There's no special care required; wait until frost kills the tops back, then prune away the dead foliage. If yours is a perennial or biennial type, you'll see new growth in spring. If yours are annuals, you can sow seeds next spring and the plants will grow quickly. Enjoy!