The Q&A Archives: Succulents, Keeping their colors

Question: I have a number of succulents in my garden. All are healthy and thriving. I have noticed that the multicolored varieties, i.e. aeoniums, echeveria, are losing their pinks , reds, yellows, and are becoming all green. Is this a sun exposure issue? Is it a temperature issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Answer: What you're seeing is normal, but only temporary. For cactus and other succulents greening up under cloudy conditions is normal. Red coloring is a normal response of many succulents to high light, heat, and drought. Plant coloration wll normally change dramatically with the seasons and growing conditions. Some plants will change color more than others. Echeverias, Sedums, and Aeoniums are particulary prone to change their colors according to conditions. They will develop their more pronounced colors next summer when the sunshine is more intense.

Best wishes with your garden!