The Q&A Archives: Wax Myrtle

Question: I am interested in buying some large Monrovia Wax Mrytles at our local Pike's Nursery. The Information sheet on the Wax Myrtle at Pike's (a Monrovia card) indicates that the maximum tree height for Wax Mrytle's is 8-12 feet. All of my research on the Internet shows that Wax Myrtles can reach up to 30 feet. The Pike's nursery expert says that your Mrytles are Southern Wax Myrtles. Before we buy these 4 large plants, we want to be sure that your varieties might grow in Atlanta up to at least 18 feet.
Thanks for your help. Kim Newsome

Answer: Kim,

There are standard Southern Wax Myrtles and semi dwarf types. This would explain the two general size ranges you mentioned. However the standard types generally are not going to get more than perhaps 15 or so feet in most cases. The semi dwarf types may stay even as low as 6-8 feet in height.

I think if you want something over 18 feet you should consider Carolina Cherry Laurel or perhaps a Little Gem Magnolia.