The Q&A Archives: Flower carpet Pink roses

Question: I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and have Flower Carpet Pink Roses. I'm not sure how to care for them and with winter knocking on my door, I want to ensure that I do the right thing. Could you PLEASE give me some advice on caring and pruning?

Answer: This is a very low maintenance rose. In late fall, mulch heavily over the root area. You could also heap mulch over the base of the plant. Next spring, gradually remove the excess mulch. Leave a layer of mulch two to three inches deep. Then trim it back by about half to two thirds, more if required to remove winter damage and restore a symmetrical appearance. Top dress with compost and apply a complete granular or slow release fertilizer such as 10-10-10 per the label instructions. Enjoy!