The Q&A Archives: What to plant

Question: Can you recommend shrubs and perennials that can be planted in full sun on a slight hill/slope. I would like something that stays low to the ground and doesn't get very high.

Answer: There are many different plants you could use depending in part on the soil type, your time frame and budget, and also on your personal taste. Some low growing shrubs to consider for a sunny bank might include Euonymus fortunei, Cotoneaster and Juniper -- there are many junipers in the knee high and lower category. Among perennials you could consider shorter growing daylilies, sedums, and creeping phlox (Phlox subulata) for example. I would suggest you work with your local professional nursery staff to analyze the growing conditions and identify plants that would really thirve there, then make your selection from among those. Have fun with your project!