The Q&A Archives: What do you feed chrysanthemums?

Question: I planted some chrysanthemums in my front yard and they are already dying. What do you feed mums? I feed them regular miracle grow and I don't guess it helped. How often do I need to water them? Help!!

Answer: Robin,

They are pretty easy to please. If you have not had a soil test I would suggest a fertilizer that is balanced in a 1:1:1 ratio. If you do have your soil tested the phosphorus may be adequate and so a 3:1:2 ratio product (such as turf fertilizer) would be fine. Miracle Gro is fine unless you are feeding a lot of chrysnathemums and need a more economical dry product in a larger bag.

Water as needed to keep the soil slightly moist. Once every 4 days or so in summer and much less often in fall and spring as the temps are cooler and the weather tends to be wetter.