The Q&A Archives: Low growing Camellia

Question: I'm looking for a low-growing Camellia with red flowers and evergreen. So far I have found the 'Bonanza', is this the best choice? I'd like to use it as a foreground/midground shrub in a shade/part shade courtyard. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kurt.

Answer: `Bonanza' (C. ?hiemalis)(zone 7) - This has some of the deepest pink-red flowers of any of the Sasanquas. All Sasanquas have pink overtones due to the chemistry of the pigments in their flowers. The flowers are semi-double and medium sized and the plant has a somewhat spreading habit. Or, you might consider Winter's Rose' (C. oleifera ? C. ?hiemalis `Otome')(-15?F) - `Winter's Rose' is a dwarf Camellia with pale pink rather than deep pink flowers. Ten year old plants will probably be 3 feet across and only 3 feet tall. Pale pink semi-double flowers are produced in profusion in early fall. One final suggestion is `Slim 'n Trim' (C. sasanqua)(zone 7) - I would call this introduction a dwarf with tiny leaves and tight upright growth. The flowers are deep rose pink and single. A useful plant for confined spaces since this appears to stay columnar and very dense.

Best wishes with your landscape!