The Q&A Archives: Sunflower Variety

Question: There is a particular type of sunflower that I'm looking for. I often see it sold at flower stands and green grocers as a cut flower. It has a uniformly dark brown velvety face and short yellow petals. I've tried several varieties over the years, but still haven't found the right one. Can you suggest some?<br><br>Thank you.

Answer: Have you had a chance to look through Burpee's 1998 catalog? There are some spectacular sunflowers in there...some I can't wait to try myself. 'Parasol Mix' contains different colors and forms of sunflowers, all beautiful. 'Fun-n-Sun' Hybrid Sunflower mix has many beautiful colors and forms as well: wines, golds, butter yellows, white. 'Indian Blanket' is another breathtaking variety of sunflower, it is a bicolor with hues ranging from a rich burgundy to lemon. If you have a catalog, look on pages 9, 12, and 13. If you don't, contact Burpee at 1-800-888-1447 or request one through the website. I think you will be pleased and your search may be over! <br><br>I think I know the look you describe--the closest Icame was to a variety called 'Valentine', described as having 6-inch flowers that, if cut when coming into bud, will last up to 18 days in a vase! It is available from Thompson & Morgan, ph# 800-274-7333, web site:<br><br>