The Q&A Archives: courtyard gardening

Question: we recently purchased a home in Dallas with a lovely courtyard in the center (apprx 600 sf). the courtyard has brick paving, a stone waterfall, an L shaped planting bed, and two 6' X 6' planter boxes large enough for trees. it is surrounded on 3 sides with floor to ceiling glass.

I would like to plant it in an oriental style and was thinking dwarf bamboo in the planting bed and Japanese maples in the two tree planters with perhaps crushed stone as ground cover. some sort of flowering vine might also be nice. the shrubbery in the L-shapped bed should be no taller than around 3' along the sides though we could do something taller in the corner. I'm a little conerned that the dwarf bamboo might not be tall enough.

Any other suggestions?

Answer: Andrew,

Dwarf nandina would be nice. You might also consider a topiary juniper somewhere
in the plan.