The Q&A Archives: Yellow leaves on Mimosa tree

Question: My mimosa tree has some yellowing on it's lower leaves. It's a new tree planted late last spring. Why would it be yellowing? Too much water? Not enough water? Lack of mineral? Any ideas/suggestions?!?
Thanks, Nancy

Answer: It's really difficult to diagnose a plant problem without actually seeing it. Yellowing leaves can indicate some stress with the roots of your tree; over- or under-watering, need for fertilizer, or even a disease such as fusarium. I think your best course of action would be to take a sample of the affected leaves (and a branch or stem) to your local Cooperative Extension office for an accurate diagnosis. The specimens you take will be examined under a microscope which can reveal clues that you and I cannot see. Your local Cooperative Extension office will be listed in the white pages under "County". Best wishes with your mimosa!