The Q&A Archives: Iris

Question: I have iris bulbs that I've been storing in the garage in a plastic bag. Can I plant them inside to get them started before planting them outside? When should I plant them?<br>

Answer: The best thing you can do for the iris is get them out of the plastic bag as soon as possible! When storing bulbs, try to provide a cool, dry place, with good air circulation (helps them avoid fungal infections). Bulbous iris are usually planted outdoorsin the fall. (The bulbs go dormant in the summer.) Their regular bloom period is May - June, but they won't bloom unless they're allowed to wake up and grow roots! You could "plant" them now in containers, using a mix of garden and potting soil, and then put the containers outdoors in a protected area. Remove and store them over the summer and then plant them in the garden next fall.