The Q&A Archives: partial sun (shade)

Question: My house in mostly shaded. I now have star jasmine that covers a fence and blooms gloriously in the spring also honeysuckle which is doing well. What other choices do I have? Container plants or hanging baskets would be okay too. Something that attracts butterflys would be nice. Thanks

Answer: Don,

Well there are hundreds of great plants for your area so with a general type question it's hard to know where to start. Here are a few ideas to get you going:
For hanging baskets in the spring to fall season - ferns, trailing petunias, ivy, bougainvillea, and purslane.
For containers in winter, pansies, viola, alyssum, snapdragons, and stock. In spring to fall try petunias, blackfoot daisy, coleus, caladiums, copper plant, fountain grass (purple and dwarf types), pentas, lantana, and celosia.

Hope this helps.