The Q&A Archives: scotch broom

Question: I have 2 scotch brooms which I like but need to prune. How far back can I prune without hurting the plant? Also, I have a crepe myrtle that is in the ground only 4 months and came in a 15 gal. container whatever age that is. How do you suggest I prune it? Thanks As always Dave

Answer: Pruning encourages new growth so as you're standing there with pruners in hand, contemplate where you'd like the new growth to begin. You can safely remove about one-third of the scotch broom without harming the plant. I usually take some of the oldest stems down to ground level to renew the plant. New shoots will develop at the base of the plant. Crepe Myrtles bloom on new wood so giving it an overall shearing should produce lots of new flowering wood. Although your winter weather is mild, I'd still wait until early spring to prune the crepe myrtle - just as the buds begin to swell. That's an indication that the plant has finished resting and is ready to grow and flower.

Enjoy your garden!