The Q&A Archives: In need of a good shrub/evergreen for privacy screen

Question: I am looking to find a good shrub or evergreen plant to be used as a privacy screen and property divider. I would like it to grow only to 10-15 feet tall max. and be mostly upright and narrow as there is not alot of room between houses. It would get part to full sun. I would like it to keep it's leaves/foliage year round. Can you make any reccomendations?

Answer: Most evergreens need full sun for at least six hours daily including the hour of noon in order to stay healthy, so to some extent you may be limited by the shade conditions. You might be able to use a columnar arborvitae or juniper or possibly one of the new red hollies such as "Oak Leaf" depending on how wide a space you really have. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to show you plants that would thrive there are also fit your design goals. Good luck with your project!