The Q&A Archives: Magnolia 'Black Tulip' Dormant state

Question: Dear Monrovia,
I recently purchased Magnolia 'Black Tulip'from a Western Washington Nursery. The tree looks to be in good health and I hope to see those great blooms next Spring.
However, what was unusal to me was the tree was in a 'dormant' state.
Normally, I'd expect that condition in the late Fall. Were these trees in cold Storage or a process to keep them from leafing out and blooming?
I am quite happy with the tree. Just curious how the growing Nursery could manage keeping a Magnolia from leafing out.
Please reply when you get a chance to do so. Like to hear how Monrovia does that process! Thanks.

Mark Saner
North Bend, WA

Answer: Wish I had a concrete answer for you! Plants respond to their environment; magnolia's go into dormancy when the soil and air temperatures are cold. If your new magnolia has already shed its leaves and is dormant (which is an excellent time to plant because you'll avoid stressing the tree), then it came from a nursery up north where fall has already arrived and winter is nearly there. Plant your magnolia now and then just sit back and relax. It should bloom early next growing season. Enjoy!