The Q&A Archives: What am I doing wrong?

Question: I received a Moronia plant as a rememberance of my mother's passing. It is a Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, planted in a large ceramic planter. I have had it for 4 months and can't figure out what's wrong. I have changed the amount of sun, changed the amount of water, moved it and still the plant is not thriving. The leaves are dying from the center out, the edge of the leaves have brown edges, the color of the leaves is pale and curled under. I really want this plant to do well, what am I doing wrong? Please help.
Jeannette Burke

Answer: Jeanette,

Those symptoms are root related in most cases. Drought is the most likely but if the container does not drain well it could be due to soggy soil conditions which also kill roots. Dig down a few inches to feel the soil. Water when it is drying to the touch. In a container this may be daily depending on the size of the plant vs. the size of the container. Give the plant a morning sun and afternoon shade location for best results.