The Q&A Archives: low maintainence evergreen narrow hedge

Question: Hi,

I am looking for a extremely low maintainence evergreen shrub to plant on a 3 feet by 70 feet strip along the outside of my back fence. My back fence is facing a very high traffic street and I want to plant a dense hedge evergreen shrub on the outside to help muffle out the noise. Since it is on the outside of the yard maintenance such as pruning will be very difficult. I am looking for something that iss drought tolerant, not messy (no fruit drop), minimum pruning, and grows no more than 6-8 feet high, and isn't invasive so it won't run over to the inside of the yards.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Answer: I'd recommend either Thuja 'pyramidalis', an upright, narrow evergreen often used as a privacy hedge, or Juniperus chinensis x ?Hetzii Columnaris? (Hetz Green Columnar Juniper), a medium growing columnar evergreen. It likes sun and acid soil. Grows 10-12 ft, spreads 2-4 ft. Either plant can be topped at 6-8' to maintain the height you want.

Hope one of these suggestions appeals to you.