The Q&A Archives: wintering a Dwarf Pomegranate in zone 6/7

Question: I live in Brooklyn, zone 6/7. My dwarf pomegranate is on our balcony, so due to wind, the plant which is hardy to zone 7, will probably not survive (rose bushes die if I leave them out on the balcony). When I bring it inside, should I leave in in a sunnyt window so it doesn't go dormant, or should I put it in the cooler/dark basement with the fig (which does go dormant)? In other words, is this an evergreen, and if it stays an evergreen, will that effect it's blooming/fruit production?

Answer: This plant is deciduous and does not require a winter chill, although it will certainly tolerate one since it is hardy to zone 7. If you have a storage area that works well for a fig then it should be fine there as well. In my experience this is usually easier/more successful than trying to grow it indoors over the winter. If you keep it indoors, try for a bright room that is also on the cool side, say 55 degrees and do not overwater. Good luck!