The Q&A Archives: vines in arizona

Question: I built a Terrance with 3 large columns and want to go a vine with flowers that would cover the top and be able to take Arizona heat in the summer and would remain green throughout the year, any ideas other than bougainvillea? Thanks Cathy

Answer: One of my favorites is pink trumpet vine, Podranea ricasoliana. It has a lush green look all year, although it is a low-water-use plant. It has pink flowers from summer into fall. Mine is still blooming. It has no thorns. It does grow fairly long sprawling branches that are quite vigorous, so they need to be tied to a strong support, as they don't "climb" on their own. Another possibility would be Hardenbergia violacea, lilac vine. It blooms with purple fragrant flowers in winter to early spring. It is evergreen, has no thorns and is low water use, but I don't think it is quite as vigorous as pink trumpet vine. I hope these ideas help!