The Q&A Archives: Blue Podocarpus

Question: Dear Sirs:
I have a question about a rare Blue podocarpus (latifolius). I purchased about six of these because of the beautiful foliage and was hoping that they could replace the podocarpus

Answer: Icee Blue Podocarpus is slow growing to 15-25 ft. tall by 15-25 ft. wide. It may reach larger proportions than the 'Maki', which might cause a problem. 'Blue Gem? is a very nice dwarf spreading selection of Podocarpus. The color is a fantastic light blue. The new growth is pink to light red and later turns blue and it will grow to about 2? high and 3? wide in 10 years. this one isn't quite as tall as you need. so, I'd replace the 'Maki' with new ones. You'll have 5-8 years of plants the size you want before having to replace them again.

Best wishes with your garden!