The Q&A Archives: Syringa 'Miss Kim'

Question: I have a plant in my back yard that I am not familiar with. the official name on the tag is syringa patula

Answer: Lilacs are deciduous plants and will lose their leaves in the fall. Miss Kim is no exception. But it will leaf out again in the spring.

The Miss Kim Lilac is compact and upright-rounded in form. It has an abundance of fragrant blossoms in spring that are dark lavender-pink in bud and fade to a very soft lavender-pink when fully opened. The blossoms are even more plentiful when it is planted in full sun. Miss Kim has the best fall color of any Lilac, a reddish purple. Compact and upright-rounded in form, it slowly grows to five feet tall and wide. This shrub is resistant to powdery mildew, but suffers under prolonged drought conditions, when it may drop many of its leaves. The Miss Kim Lilac makes a wonderful shrub for foundation plantings.