The Q&A Archives: Little Kim Lilac

Question: I purchased five little kim lilacs from Sherwood Forest in St. Louis last spring. They have all suffered from some kind of rust which has caused the leaves to curl and turn rust colored. I have sprayed them with daconil on a regular basis with no visible results. Will these shrubs recover in the spring?

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what has affected your lilacs; these particular lilacs are usually pretty much trouble-free with healthy foliage. You might want to check with your local county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis and based on knowing that, you would know better what to expect next year. If it is something that requires treatment, they should be able to tell you what to use and how/when is best to apply it. In the meantime, clean up and dispose of all of the old foliage this fall. Also consider replacing the mulch beneath them in late fall. This should go a long way toward avoiding carryover to next season. Good luck with your lilacs!