The Q&A Archives: Repotting Fruit Trees

Question: I just purchased a Redblush grapefruit and a Nagami kumquat. They both have fruit. Should I repot them now or wait until the fruit is finished? They will have to be kept inside during our winter. Thank you.

Answer: Repotting may or may not affect the ripening fruit - if you can wait, it might be better. Taking your citrus trees indoors for the winter is important, but doing so will place them under stress until they adjust to the lower light levels and drier air of indoors. This adjustment may cause leaf drop and even fruit drop. I'd wait until next spring to repot. In the meantime, why not sink the nursery pots into larger more decorative pots? That way you'll disguise the nursery containers without stressing your trees. Best wishes with your new trees!