The Q&A Archives: Survival of a Mimosa tree in Ohio

Question: Hi: I was wondering if you Might be able to help me. I live in central Ohio and the Mimosa trees don't grow well here, but my daughter has a beautiful one and it's huge. I planted some seeds from it and they did wonderful all summer. Now I have brought it in hoping I can plant it in the spring. The leaves are falling off daily. Can you tell me how I can get this through the winter? I have it in a sunny window but I am wondering if it needs to be in a cold place and go dormant. Can you please give me information regarding this. Thank you so so much.

Answer: You may have success growing mimosa in your landscape - you're on the ragged edge of the growing zone, but I think it's worth a try. Mimosa can be grown indoors while it's young and small. Bright light, warmth and humidity should keep it happy. I think yours is responding to the change in light and temperatures since you brought it indoors. It should adjust. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet; provide bright light and mist the plant occasionally to keep the humidity high. Hope you see some new leaves developing soon!