The Q&A Archives: slow growing evergreen tree

Question: Hi
I'm looking for a slow growing evergreen that will give shade to my home. I live in a two story home and get full sun ALL DAY. Would like a tree that doesn't overpower the height of my home or just cover it up. But would like to have shade at my front door and would like a nice CLEAN evergreen tree. Any suggestions??? I was thinking of a japanese maple, but those do best in shade, right??

Answer: Japanese maples are deciduous trees and they do prefer shade from hot afternoon sun. I'd avoid planting them and plant one of the following evergreen trees instead:

Wax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera) grows 15-20 ft. x 15-20 ft.; Japanese Black Pine (Pinus thunbergii), 20 - 25 ft., has a sculptural form, is slow growing; or an ornamental olive tree.