The Q&A Archives: Repelling Skunks

Question: How do I discourage a skunk from continually using my flower bed as it's litter box.

Answer: All animals appreciate digging in nice, soft soil. Garden beds are a favorite of neighborhood cats, as well as skunks. Try making the offending animal's visit as uncomfortable as possible. Either place crumpled poultry netting on the soil surface soit "gives" when the animal walks on it, or place stakes around your flower bed and string nylon fishing line in a zigzag pattern across the bed. Try to keep the line about six inches off the soil surface, and make sure that it crosses over itselfevery 12 inches. Unless the cat - or skunk - is very small, it won't be able to dig in the ground. The animal visits out of habit. The habit will be broken in a short time and you'll be able to remove the netting or line from your garden bed.