The Q&A Archives: black magic elephant ears

Question: Hi, I have a few questions: plant's leaves are becoming full of wholes before they wilt and die one by one. What is wrong with it and how do I stop this?
2.Also I keep it in a pot. Do I need to bring it inside?
3.I brought it in last night but the leaves which appear dry keep dripping water from the tips. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help!

Answer: Elephant's Ears are herbaceous perennials meaning they will lose their leaves at the end of the season and the tuber will go dormant. After it rests over the winter months, it will grow new foliage. Since it is so late in the season, I wouldn't worry about the holes in the leaves. Keep it outdoors and wait for frost to kill all of the foliage. Then cut the dead foliage off, dig the tuber and store it in dry peatmoss in an unheated garage or basement (somewhere where it is cold, but does not freeze). In the spring, repot the tuber and it will grow new foliage. Best wishes with your garden!