The Q&A Archives: Brown Spots in my Philodendron

Question: I have brown spots in my Philo and I think I am giving it to much to drink, but the soil is dry when I water her. What am I doing wrong? Help?

Answer: Over-watering can cause brown spots, but a bacterial disease can show the same symptoms. Philodendrons appreciate regular watering, but the soil must drain quickly or root rot will develop. Water your plant thoroughly, then allow the top inch or two of soil to dry out before watering again. Sometimes you can lift the pot and feel whether or not it needs watering by the weight of the pot. If this is impractical, simply stick your finger down into the potting soil. If it is still moist down to the second joint of your finger, you won't need to water for a few days. If it is dry that far down, it's time to water.

Best wishes with your philodendron!