The Q&A Archives: Azalea planting

Question: When is the latest this fall that I can plant azaleas in Maryland

Answer: Your zip code places you in zone 7 and the soil is still warm in your area, so you could still be planting. Container grown plants can be planted as long as the soil is workable and preferably two months before the ground freezes to allow time for the plant to become well rooted before the cold weather. Keep in mind they will do best if sited in a spot protected from the winter wind and in soil that is evenly moist yet well drained; apply a layer of organic mulch about three inches deep year round. In my experience, the evergreen types tend to do better if planted in the spring than in the fall. If you plant evergreens you might try using an antitranspirant spray per the label instructions this fall and again during the mid winter "thaw". Also, the selection will be wider in the spring than it is now.