The Q&A Archives: Snake Plant

Question: I have a snake plant that belonged to my mother, when she had it the leaves or stalks were straigt tall and green. I have had it for over two years and the stalks are starting to bend the new ones are laying over not growing straight and now they have holes in them and are starting to turn brown, what can I do. Thank you

Answer: This is normally a very low maintenance, healthy plant. Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what is wrong with your plant. It may be that it has been overwatered and lost some roots as a result, or it is possible the potting soil has deteriorated over time and is not draining well, or that there is a disease problem or something like that, but it is very difficult to diagnose long distance. (The most common problem with this plant is overwatering.) I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and see if they can tell you specifically what is happening. Based on knowing that, you will be able to determine how to save it. They may appreciate photos of the overall plant as well as a close-up or two. If there is a root problem, you might still be able to take tip cuttings and root them to start a new plant from this one. Good luck!