The Q&A Archives: Pruning Hydrangea

Question: I love the Endless Summer hydrangea. The leaves are just yellowing and falling now. Do I prune these back? If so, how much and when? They are in second season and quite large - a bit leggy. Also, should I fertilize these now - VERY warm fall so far. We are still in the 70s here in Western NC!!

Answer: Endless Summer is a perpetual flowering big-leaf Hydrangea that blooms virtually all season long. And because Endless Summer can flower repeatedly on new wood, you can be confident that regardless of whether the plant dies back to the crown or is trimmed at the wrong time, you'll still get wonderful flowers that grow all season. Endless Summer is remarkably hardy, even to Zone 4, but if your plant dies down to soil level during the winter, it will send up new flowering stems the following year. There's nothing you need to do to with your hydrangea this fall or winter; simply cut it back in early spring to remove any winter killed wood and to reshape the plant. Wait until spring to fertilize - even though your weather is still warm, you wouldn't want to encourage lots of new growth this late in the growing season. Best wishes with your garden!