The Q&A Archives: Florida flowers

Question: I am a new gardener in Florida zone 8B, I would like to plan some small perennials along my very sunny driveway. Are there any plants that will bloom for a long time, or should I do 2 plantings of annuals, or maybe alternate annuals and perennials along the driveway? In any case, what flowers would be best?

Answer: Viviane,

All those options are fine. It is difficult to find a perennial that will give color for a very long season. Lantana is a good choice and some dwarf types would be a good option for that area.

You might choose a perennial such as lantana and then put in a cool season annual like pansy or viola after frost (prune the lantana back to near the ground after frost) to extend the color season.

If you go with annuals you may need 3 or 4 color changes to keep the area attractive year round.