The Q&A Archives: Gardening In Wet Soil

Question: In zone 7, I have an area that has grass during summer, but is moist. During winter months the soil is wet. I'd like to change this to a garden and plant perennials and some annuals. It gets 6 hrs+ of direct sunlight late spring to late fall. Any suggestions?

Answer: Here is a list of some flowering perennials that thrive in moist soil: 'Ice Ballet' Asclepsias, Chelone lyonii (Turtlehead Flower), Eupatorium (Joe Pye Flower), Filipendula (Queen of the Meadow), Marshalla grandiflora (Barbara's Buttons), Lobelia 'Ruby Slippers', Darmera peltata (Syn. Peltiphyllum peltatum - "Umbrella Flower"), Trollius chinensis (Golden Queen Globeflower), Ligularia przewalskii. An ornamental grass that does well in wet areas is Acorus, and, a good ground cover for wet spots is Tovara virginiana 'Painter's Palette'. Annuals such as Impatiens, Coleus, Primrose, and Snapdragon should do OK in that spot as long as it is just moist and not soaking wet.