The Q&A Archives: Regarding Covering plant for the winter

Question: I was wondering if you can tell me how to properly. Close up the tree for the winter. Here in NJ it gets pretty cold out here. Last year, we put leave under the plant and then covered with black paper and duct taped. And put a cover on the top to keep the heat in. Also, should we cut anything before or after. Or cut at all. Any of the limbs. If so how much are we really supposed to cut. Maybe that is what slowed my process down this year for fruit. Thank you.
Ms. Schwalje

Answer: Fig trees are not hardy in your gardening region so you will have to provide some protection for it. Just how much winter protection it will need depends on how bad of a winter you have and the microclimate it is in near you home. Around a home there are several different microclimates based on such factors as how close to the home they are, which compass direction from the home they are, whether the location is sunny or shady in winter, etc. Some gardeners will cut the roots on one side and lay the plant over where it can be more easily covered with leaves and a tarp for winter protection. A slightly less effective but much easier option is to cut the fig bush back to a more manageable height and place a ring of wire fencing around it. Then fill the ring with lots of leaves and cover the entire structure with a tarp to hold in the warmth of the earth. Simply wrapping the plant with some blankets will usually not provide enough protection, as it does not trap much heat to protect the tender fig buds and branches. Remove the tarp and leaves (leave some as a mulch around the tree) in spring when the danger of a freeze is past. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!