The Q&A Archives: Blooming Bulbs

Question: I just planted several Hyacinth and Iris bulbs (back in Sept.). I noticed that they have grown to about 6 inches because of recent and unseasonably warm weather. What should I do to ensure they blossom in the spring when they are supposed to??

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain exactly what you planted. If you planted the minor bulb called grape hyacinth, it is normal for them to put up somewhat grassy-looking foliage in the fall. And if you planted iris rhizomes (not bulbs but often sold bare root in the fall)for the perennial garden flower sometimes called bearded iris, these would also normally grow some foliage if planted in September. If however you planted another type of hyacinth or a bulb iris, they were planted way too early while the soil was still very warm and consequently are growing prematurely. They will probably survive the winter, but they may not bloom their first spring as a result. There is nothing you can do now to change that.