The Q&A Archives: Information on Firepowe Nandina

Question: I am considering using firepower nandina in my front bed. One part of the area will get some morning sun. The other area will get some afternoon sun. We have two large liveoaks in the yard as well. I know I won't get the intense color because of lack of sun. I need to know if there are any other concerns. I need something low growing.

Answer: Lynn,

You are correct about the color and sun exposure. I think the nandina will grow there if there is decent sun part of the day and fairly bright shade in the rest of the day. Nandina likes a bed with good drainage and some compost mixed in. It also prefers a neutral to slightly acidic soil. In really high pH soil it may become a little chlorotic. Fertilize in spring with a turf fertilizer at a rate of 1 cup per 50 square feet.