The Q&A Archives: Gardenias

Question: I saw very large gardenia flowers floating in a water bowl at my doctor's office and asked where they came from. The person at the
desk did not know. I understand you have a gardena plant with large
blooms, called First Love. How large are the flowers? Are they just
fuller or are they larger in general? Is this the largest bloom you know of? How large are they? Do you have a photo you can direct me to or e-mail me? I understand Armstrong Nursery can special order? Thank you for your help.

Answer: You may very well have seen flowers from a First Love Gardenia. Creamy-white and boasting the distinctive Rose-like shape that is so exquisite, these flowers open from late spring well into summer -- several weeks earlier than most other Gardenias, and offering a longer season than many! They measure 4 to 5 inches wide and are suffused with an indescribably sweet scent that must be experienced to be appreciated. Plant this shrub on the patio, beside the kitchen window, or in any trafficked spot where the fragrance can be enjoyed by all who pass it. It's no exaggeration to say that a single First Love? perfumes the entire garden!

Here is the web address of a photo:

Armstrong Nursery should be able to order a First Love Gardenia plant for you. Enjoy!