The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Star Jasmine

Question: Last spring, I bought one of your Star Jasmines which has done beautifully on our deck this summer. I would very much like to keep it over the winter so would appreciate your suggestions. We are in Zone 5 (possibly Zone 6) so I would have to take it in. I could put it in our garage which would be above 10 degrees except very occassionally, when I could bring the plant in. However, there is no window in our garage. I could also put it in our basement which is heated but it would get some daylight. I should be able to put it back outside in April. I'd prefer not to cut it back but could do that if it would encourage dormancy. Any suggestions.

Thank you,

Joe Gilmore

Answer: Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) isn't rated for your cold winters, so you're right in planning to take it indoors over the winter months. The garage isn't a suitable place, and the basement will provide only minimal daylight so I'd suggest moving it into your living quarters and treating it like a houseplant. Start by moving it indoors overnight when temperatures drop down to 50 degrees. Move it indoors gradually so it can adjust to the different situation by taking it in at night and back outdoors during the day. Keep it indoors for longer and longer periods until it's spending 24 hours a day inside. Place it in a bright location. Water when the top inch of soil dries out. Ensure that the entire root system gets moistend. Feed once a month with a balanced fertilizer. Good luck!