The Q&A Archives: Red Leaved Banana in Atlanta (Zone 7b)

Question: I have a Red Leaved banana that I purchased from Pikes (monrovia brand). It has grown really well this hot summer in Atlanta. Can it survive the winter here if I cover it? If not, how can I over winter it? Someone told me to cut the leaves off and dig it up. Shake the dirt off the root and lay it in my basement or garage over the winter and to replant in the spring after the last frost. I want to do the right thing as this is a beautiful plant.

Answer: Fred,

Red Leaved Banana is only rated to zone 10 so it will not be dependably hardy in your area. The technique you mentioned is fine for overwintering the dug banana plant. I might try storing the dug plant base section in sawdust to reduce drying without keeping it too wet.