The Q&A Archives: Cortaderia selloana "Pumila" / the Ivory Feathers Dwarf Pampas Grasses

Question: Must these grasses be cut back to enable them to survive the winter? How far back should they be cut and when?

Can the flowering stalks be cut down and put in the house for ornamental arrangements?

Answer: The flowering stalks on your pampas grass should be cut off when spent, but you can cut them immediately after they've fully opened and use them for floral arrangements. It isn't necessary to prune your plants back in preparation for winter. Some of the foliage will die back during winter and in the spring you can tidy the clump up by removing dead foliage. I leave my plants alone until spring because I love the foliage with frost and even snow all over it. Pampas grass is a tough plant and will rebound each spring without problem. Enjoy!