The Q&A Archives: Growing Grapes

Question: I was wtching your show on UNC ETV today 11/12/05, it was mentioned that one could go on your web site to find out what varieties of grapes would do well in your climate. We live in Marion SC, I believe it is zone 8, I can't seem to find the info on your web site, perhaps I don't know where to look. Can you help Thanks
F. Finnell

Answer: There are a number of grape varieties that will grow well in your Zone 8 gardening zone. Among them are Blue Lake with dark blue fruits and a tangy-sweet flavor; Buffalo, a medium sized blue-black fruit with spicy-sweet flavor; Diamond White, a golden yellow fruit with sweet-tart flavor; Fredonia (Early Concord), a large blue-black fruit with intense spicy grape flavor; Lake Emerald, a green fruit with good flavor; Ontario, with small white to light yellow fruit and a sweet, distinctive flavor; Carlos, a medium to small muscadien with bronze fruit - excellent for juice or wine; Doreen, light bronze fruit with sweet flavor; Jumbo, a very large purple-black fruit; Summit, a bronze fruit with very sweet flavor; Aurore, a white fruit with pink blush, very sweet.

There are many others - look for them at your local garden center.