The Q&A Archives: Vines, Ivy, Groundcover

Question: Columbus, OH -

I have very bad soil. It is compacted, and not very healthy. I am able to grow many plants, but many die. I also have very poor grass, due to the lack of rain in summer, shade, and bad soil.

1.)I would like to find a groundcover to cover the bad parts of my lawn.

2.)I would like to find a vine or Ivy that would cover my entire wooden fence. Mostly the fence gets little sun. Some areas get full sun. I could use more than one variation.

I live alone, and am very busy - not good at much maintainance - and would like something that doesn't need a require a lot of attention. I am trying to make my yard look nice.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jason Dunn

Answer: There are a number of low-maintenance groundcovers for you to try. Among the favorites are Pachysandra, Vinca minor, Ajuga, and English ivy. All prefer full sun but will adapt to partially shady sites.

To get the most from your new plants, plan to spend some time amending the soil with organic matter so their roots can become well established. Once the parent plants are established, they will spread out to cover the bare spots in your landscape.

Best wishes with your landscape!