The Q&A Archives: Norfolk Pine

Question: I recently purchased a Norfolk Pine and was wondering if you could give me some info on this tree, as I don't know how to treat it in our area
(Coeur d'Alene, Idaho). Thank you for your help.
Beverly Eaton

Answer: Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterphylla) is originally from Norfolk Island, which is off the coast of Australia, so it is not adapted to survive Idaho's cold winters. It will survive for years in containers though, so you could bring it indoors in winter and have it outdoors when there is no danger of frost. They prefer bright light and moderate water. Keep away from drafts, heat vents, and dry air. Increase humidity around the plant (you could set it up on a saucer with pebbles and water, for example). They are lovely trees, but they can be somewhat demanding in a home environment. Good luck!