The Q&A Archives: Silver King Euonymus turning yellow

Question: What does it mean if my Silver King Euonymus is turning yellow?

Answer: Euonymus japonicus 'Silver King' has variegated foliage; sometimes a bit of the new growth will be healthy but grows in with more yellow as its natural coloring. If this is what is happening it is not something to worry about, it is just a color variation. If however the foliage on the lower part of the plant or older existing foliage is turning yellow, that is not a good sign, especially if there is also some foliage dropping. It can signal stress, or over watering, or a pest or disease problem. These are difficult to diagnose long distance. I would suggest you consult with your county extension and/or your local professional nursery staff to obtain a specific diagnosis of the color change and then based on that, determine how to proceed. Good luck with your shrub!