The Q&A Archives: Over Winter Gerbera Daisies

Question: I've potted up a dozen Gerbera Daisies that I want to keep in my small greenhouse over the winter. The leaves are looking pretty bad...turning gray, with no new growth apparent at this time. Are they just going thru a dormant stage? If they'll come back, what's the minimum greenhouse temp to insure survival?

Answer: Your gerbera daisies may have developed Botrytis, a common problem when air circulation is poor, light levels are low and temperatures are not quite right. Typically, gerberas can be grown indoors as houseplants, so they should winter over in a cool greenhouse, as long as there is good air circulation. If the leaves are gray, I'd suspect a fungal disease, but you'll want to have the problem diagnosed first-hand by your local Cooperative Extension office before treating the problem and trying to overwinter the plants.