The Q&A Archives: endless summer hydranea

Question: Past summer bought a endless summer hydrangea from your nursery. I put it in a big flower pot and kept it on my patio. I enjoyed the blooms so much, I never repotted it. Just kept it in the orignal pot. Now that winter is hear can I save my beautiful plant? Please help me, help my plant to survive this winter. I live in north eastern Illinois.
Sincerely, Barbara Cwikla

Answer: Once it has gone dormant and dropped its leaves you can bring it into a sheltered place such as an unheated garage for the winter. It should be quite cold, but not so cold that the soil freezes. Water just enough to keep the soil from going bone dry. In the spring, take it back outside again as the weather moderates. That would also be the time to plant it. Enjoy!