The Q&A Archives: leaf litter

Question: I am looking for a source to purchase leaf litter that is all organic to use for plants in a terrarium that is a home to pet tree frogs. I have been unable to find this item in my neighbourhood nurseries nor does anyone even know what I am talking about. Can you help? Thank you Elizabeth Bailie

Answer: I am not aware of any suppliers for this. Leaf mold consists of chopped and partially rotted autumn leaves, but that would not be the same as leaf litter. Leaf litter is basically the accumulated fallen leaves, twigs, bark and duff you would find on the ground beneath trees. You could possibly collect fallen autumn leaves outdoors to use. You might want to check with your veterinarian to see if they are any particular types of leaves that should be avoided. Good luck with your tree frogs!