The Q&A Archives: bulbs in containers

Question: I saw on the show about planting spring bulbs in containera and leraving them out for the spring, I need to know more details, I live in the city with minimal yard, that isn't mine to plant in etc. Thanks

Answer: Bulbs in containers are tricky in that they need to be chilled enough to undergo a winter season but the soil should not get so cold that it freezes solid. In your area, the containers should be kept in a sheltered place such as a garage until spring when the bulbs begin to emerge, or possibly sunk into the ground with mulch over top to provide the needed insulation. Another option might be to place the containers against the foundation wall in a very sheltered spot out of the wind, then heap mulch over them. You may have to experiment at bit to find what works best for you.